[Talk-GB] How are we doing admin boundaries and what does "nnnnnn ba r j" stand for ?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Jul 27 21:03:58 BST 2009

On 27 Jul 2009, at 21:03, Bogus Zaba wrote:

> Peter Miller wrote:
>>
>> On 27 Jul 2009, at 17:25, Bogus Zaba wrote:

snip
>>> for me anyway.
>>
>> There seem to be problems with r and j at present for at least some
>> boundaries.
>>
>> Boundaries are created using ways and relations. You can read about
>> them here:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:boundary
>>
>> When you have created a new relation you can add it to the England
>> wiki page in the same format as the others.
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_England#Regions_of_England
>>
>> Its not entirely simple so feel free to ask more questions if needed.
>>

> Peter
>
> Thanks for your helpful response. First question of the "more
> questions" would be : when you say "1950s  OS version available in
> Potlatch" - where exactly is that available? I have done most of my
> editing from my own GPS track logs in JOSM, but I have used Potlatch
> a bit and have seen an options dialog where you can ask for a
> different background, one of the choices being something you can
> type in for yourself. Is this what I want and if so what do I type
> in here? Thanks

In Potlatch there is a option to select the background (see Potlatch
instructions for details) and then one can select 'out of copyright
map' and if you are at a reasonable zoom level you will see the
background. You can then hopefully see the administrative boundaries
(dotted lines) and if they haven't moved in 50 years you are away!

Instructions here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potlatch

The NPE out-of-copyright maps are also great for other features that
don't move much like hill tops, rivers and country roads.

Regards,

Peter