[Talk-GB] Adding unofficial cycle routes

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Jul 28 10:08:27 BST 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:

> 2009/7/27 Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com>:
> > On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM, John McKerrell<john at mckerrell.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> How about a bus route? Though there's bus stops along the way there's
> >> no arrows or anything like that saying "bus route goes this way". Not
> >> trying to be difficult, just wondering.
> >
> > I can verify which way the number 37 bus goes approximately 60 times a
> > day more often than I can verify where the high tide line is :-)
> >
> > I like to think of the scenario where if two OSMers disagree could a
> > third member join them both at the place in question and arbitrate.
> > With bus routes that's possible. With unofficial cycle routes, that's
> > often not. I'm not saying that *only* information verifiable
> > on-the-ground is acceptable, but it certainly a strong indicator that
> > it's acceptable.
> >
> > And for some reason, the third person is always Andy Robinson in my
> > mind. Curious.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andy
> >

> Now for a silly point.
>
> County and Borough Boundaries do are not on the ground, and yet we
> still want them? Ok you might find the odd road sign, saying
> "Frinsbury Extra" or "Welcome to Kent" but I certainly have not worked
> out a good way of verify them all on the ground, yet. They all seam to
> come from some copyrighted source or another..... They also like Bus
> routes have this amazing trouble of moving.
>
> Yet we go to some real trouble to get them in the database......

They have the benefit of being important, and indisputably somewhere :-)

But you're right, they're incredibly hard to figure out. I'm assuming most
of the OSM boundaries have come from NPE or been made up from on-the-ground
evidence plus the occasional local knowledge that the boundary follows some
other feature (such as river/road/railway). I put in a fair chunk of the
wandsworth/merton boundary from street signs... merton very kindly put a
borough logo on most street signs.

Dave