[Talk-GB] Red Routes

Brian Prangle bprangle at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 29 16:26:29 BST 2009

Finally decided to map red routes after avoiding it for over a year (red
routes are sprouting up rapidly  in South Birmingham despite fierce
oppostion from local traders - they're "no stopping" routes which are
rigidly enforced). There's not much to guide me as a mapper following a
quick search in the usual places - so can the community offer some thoughts
so we can get a consensus and a common approach for those few of us  who
have to contend with them? The following initial offering is from our local
tagging guru Andy Robinson (who else?)

 If  it's a red route I'd suggest red_route=yes on it since the regulations
applicable to a red route don't fit easily into any one category. However
since there aren't many places with Red Routes yet (only London [1] and West
Mids [2] in the UK?) we could have a stab with the London folks on how they
should be mapped better than this. Bus lanes could very much fall into the
thoughts as well as Urban Clearways.

These are all some sort of "restriction" so maybe that tagging approach
should be considered.

For times, the start / end type tags should be good enough, though it gets
more complicated if you have to also add a tag that stats which days it
applies to and when there is more than one time period of operation in a
given day.  For example the Stratford Road  Red Route operates M-S  7am-7pm

[1] http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/finesandregulations/949.aspx
[2] http://www.westmidlandsltp.gov.uk/redroutes.php?id=2493

Bus Lanes are yet another headache!

Regards