[Talk-GB] Red Routes

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Wed Jul 29 16:47:43 BST 2009

On 29 Jul 2009, at 16:26, Brian Prangle wrote:

> Finally decided to map red routes after avoiding it for over a year
> (red routes are sprouting up rapidly  in South Birmingham despite
> fierce oppostion from local traders - they're "no stopping" routes
> which are rigidly enforced). There's not much to guide me as a
> mapper following a quick search in the usual places - so can the
> community offer some thoughts so we can get a consensus and a common
> approach for those few of us  who have to contend with them? The
> following initial offering is from our local tagging guru Andy
> Robinson (who else?)
>
>  If  it's a red route I'd suggest red_route=yes on it since the
> regulations
> applicable to a red route don't fit easily into any one category.
> However
> since there aren't many places with Red Routes yet (only London [1]
> and West
> Mids [2] in the UK?) we could have a stab with the London folks on
> how they
> should be mapped better than this. Bus lanes could very much fall
> into the
> thoughts as well as Urban Clearways.

Edinburgh had decided to be different and call these roads greenways.
(I think the idea was to have a positive spin on the fact that "green"
transport can use it rather than it being a place that you can't go by
denoting them red.)
http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/CEC/CityDevelopment/TransportandTravel/Parking/GreenwaysandBusLanes/Greenways_And_Bus_Lanes.html

Shaun