[Talk-GB] Adding unofficial cycle routes

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Thu Jul 30 09:48:49 BST 2009

2009/7/29 Jonathan Bennett <openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk>:
> Richard Mann wrote:
>> If only it were as black and white as that. In practice it's a continuum
>> of usage, maintenance and signposting, not a fact=yes / fact=no.
>
> We have a pretty good rule of thumb, which is "Can an independent mapper
> verify the information?". If there's no way of doing so without being
> let into the secret by some group of people, it's not verifiable.
>
>> if joe public wants
>> to put information in, then you need to find somewhere for them to put
>> it, not tell them to go away.
>
> Here's where we do fail. We shouldn't tell them to go away, but we
> should be better at telling them "Here's how you present your
> information based on OSM maps and data". Many questions about putting
> unsuitable data into the main OSM DB arise because there doesn't seem to
> be an easy way of producing overlays.
>
> --
> Jonathan (Jonobennett)

Looking at it the best way to do it would be to create an Overlay and
add it on top of OpenLayers... However the simplest way to do this
currently is probably to use Google Maps My Maps Feature. :( What we
really need is someone to produce a database of layers like the
My-Maps on Google. Cloudmade Location Management might be a good thing
to look at too.

This probably needs to be a plugin for a wiki/blog so that its easy to
use. ie Drupal, WordPress, etc.

Peter.