[Talk-GB] Isle of Wight 2

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 2 00:01:08 BST 2009

Peter Childs wrote:
> 2009/6/1 SteveC <steve at asklater.com>:
>> I'm tempted, but half the point is that we need to stop thinking that
>> the IoW is mapped, without addresses or turn restrictions there's a
>> long way to go.
>>
>> On 1 Jun 2009, at 10:53, Steve Chilton wrote:
>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> I would be very interested.
>>> Would you consider pitching at somewhere "less mapped".
>>> Parts of Devon/Cornwall spring to mind.
>>>

> Mapping is NEVER finished, You can always fill in more gaps make some
> updates etc etc. I think the point is that some places need more work
> than others,  Is it better to map everywhere a bit or a few places
> perfectly?
>
> Peter

+1

I spend a lot of weekends on the IOW.
I still occasionally find a 'new' road - 2 in the last year - as well as
loads of POI's. I wanted an ATM at the weekend - the nearest to Sandown
is, allegedly, the TSB in Newport (which I placed some time ago).

I think a showcase or two is important, and although I have had some
impressive usage back from OSM there are always a few lacks anywhere,
and the IOW is our 'first' big hit. Getting it modernised & filled in to
what we might like to think of as a good up-to-date standard would help
keep that position from looking a bit sad. I wouldn't like to find one
of our flagships getting to look, well, poorly done, by comparison with
any other mapping, or even our own elsewhere.

BTW well done whoever caught up on the footpaths - I noticed a recent
leap forward.

Mark