[Talk-GB] maxspeed field - what units should we use. etc

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Jun 4 11:58:07 BST 2009

On 04/06/2009 11:55, Tom Hughes wrote:
> Robert Naylor wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:13:28 +0100, David Earl
>> <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I also came across someone tagging maxpeed=NSL yesterday. If it gives
>>> someone happiness, fine, but I don't really think it should be necessary
>>> to tag the default situation, only when there is an exception to the
>>> general rule
>>
>> If the road has regular street lights then NSL isn't the default.
>> I've  mapped a number of raods round here with maxspeed=national, but
>> only the  ones with lit=yes.
>
> Yes it is, it's just that the NSL for such a road is 30mph. Assuming the
> street lamps are close enough together that is.

Indeed, that's what I meant. I don't put a speed on each residential
road, because it's known to be 30mph without me having to say so. For
non residential in urban areas, I still tend to use abutters to say this
road is urban, but that's largely in lieu of a good way to say "this is
an urban area" at present - but that's a different discussion. Where
there is an urban 40mph, that's where I mark speed explicitly, or a
primary or trunk rural road which is 50 (like many of Derbyshire's, for
example).

David