[Talk-GB] maxspeed field - what units should we use. etc

WessexMario wessexmario-osm at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 4 12:06:02 BST 2009

> you only need 5dp to get an exact mph->kph conversion anyway :-)

I think that's the big issue.

People won't be able to agree on whether we should enter 0, 2,3 or 5 decimal
places, if anyone can remember or look them up correctly. And it's completely
unintuitive thinking of speed limits with non factor 10 vaules with decimal places.

The accuracy for practical non-scientific use of the value is almost irrelevant,
Journey times will vary more because of road conditions, speed cameras are set
to a few mph above the limits, the legal requirement is for car speed to be
measured to 10% accuracy.

The problem is someone is always going to enter the wrong values if it's done in
kph, and we'll keep on having umpteen different values for what should be and
exact figure, eg 30 mph.

The answer must be to have a solution that prefers 30,40,50,60,70 values in mph
rather than (rounded or 5dp accurate) kph numbers,.