[Talk-GB] maxspeed field - what units should we use. etc

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:06:08 BST 2009

2009/6/4 WessexMario <wessexmario-osm at yahoo.co.uk>

> I propose that we adopt a new key:  maxspeed_mph

If we have maxspeed_mph, I would be far happier seeing.

maxspeed:mph
maxspeed:km/h

I don't like the idea of maxspeed and maxspeed_mph, we'll almost certainly
find things defaulting to maxspeed, when it should be maxspeed_mph.

I think having those two options makes more sense than having maxspeed
defaulting to km/h unless mph (or some thing similar) is entered.

Then in things like Josm, it can have two options for entering the speed, or
a radio button or or or.

As soon as the tag is explicitly one thing or another, the user will no
longer be inclined to convert from one thing or another.

The only down side I see, is that all of the applications that currently
work with maxspeed, would need to be updated.