[Talk-GB] Freemap (OSM for walkers) - increased coverage

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Wed Jun 10 10:11:19 BST 2009

Andy Allan wrote:
> Gah, the common misconception rears up again. Repeat after me:
>
> It is perfectly OK to tag for the renderer
> It's not on to tag incorrectly for the renderer
>
> Or if you like:
> OK = Hey Andy I see you render NCN mileposts. What tags make them get
> rendered since I want to put mileposts in and get them to show up.
> BAD = Hey Andy I like the pink industrial areas and want my flowerbed
> to show up pink too. What tags do you render for industrial areas?

I would hope you could tell from the tone of the email how serious I was
being.

That said, as long as your first example includes the possibility of an
intermediate stage of "OK, but do you think this slightly different
tagging scheme would be clearer/more flexible/closer to real life", then
I'd just call that an example of good practice in OSM. It's
collaborating and coming to consensus -- you're agreeing a tag scheme
for NCN mileposts, and you could do that without having them show up
anywhere.

If, on the other hand, you said to have a milepost show up on OCM it
needed to be tagged "phallus=grimshaw" and refused to change it, then
people would end up tagging for the renderer, rather than an agreed scheme.

It's the discussion (but *no* "voting") that's important.

--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)