[Talk-GB] What should we do with the towns/cities section on the England page

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Tue Mar 10 14:24:03 GMT 2009

> Before we start are people happen with using ceremonial
> counties (such
> as Cheshire and Berkshire) at this top level? Cheshire was
> split into
> two unitaries a few weeks ago!

Not living in a unitary authority I don't really mind, but it is the
way I set up the Essex wiki pages (with the two unitary authorities
listed along with the remaining districts).

It is also the way I created the Wales country page once much of the
UK page disappeared to England, listing all of the admin areas from
the Local Government section of the Wikipedia page here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales
as unitary authorities, although symbols in the above article
distinguish between county, city and county borough types.

I suspect those most likely to mind are those who live in an area
and are proud of their independent status. I believe the post office
stopped using counties in their official address database some years
ago, so sending Council Tax bills and being ceremonial is about all
they're good for these days (joking - in case any council workers
are reading).

Ed