[Talk-GB] Brewery tagging

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Mar 18 11:38:15 GMT 2009

On 18/03/2009 11:21, Ed Loach wrote:
>>> one in Bury St Edmunds is tagged landuse=industrial (with a
>> visitor
>>> centre attraction).
>> That was me. It really is a factory, so I felt industrial was
>> appropriate.
>
> No, I agree. I've seen the place and it is very industrial. But
> landuse to me seems more appropriate for areas, so not much help
> with me just tagging a node (Farmers Brewery is essentially a
> microbrewery with capacity for I believe 8 barrels which was
> dictated by door width and ceiling height limiting what vessels they
> could get into the space available which is part of some out
> buildings for the adjacent hotel).
>
> For tagging the node I considered
> * building=brewery (Map Features says area only though original
> proposal also mentions node)
> * shop=brewery (they do also have a shop for bottled beers adjacent
> to the brewery)
> * amenity=brewery (as I picked "pub" in JOSM and manually changed
> pub to brewery, which is how it is currently tagged)
> * man_made=brewery (though it wasn't originally made to be a
> brewery)
> and so on.
>
> There is one standalone brewery (Harwich) in the Essex district I
> live in and tend to map, and I've not tagged it yet. There are also
> a couple of pubs which contain microbreweries, but they're only
> tagged as pubs so far with no mention that they have associated
> breweries (e.g. Cross Inn, Great Bromley for Sticklegs Brewery and
> the Railway Tavern, Brightlingsea contains "The Railway Tavern
> Brewing Co."). Perhaps it isn't important though.

My point was, though, that if brewery deserves to be identified, then so
do all other business/industrail premises, as we have started doing shops.

Therefore using "some_existing_tag"=brewery isn't so good. So maybe we
need factory=brewery|printers|clothing etc like shop(*)

Micro-breweries are perhaps a different matter, and by coincidence there
is also one of these in Bury St Edmunds, here:

href="http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.24951&lon=0.71468&zoom=17&layers=B000FTFTT&mlat=52.24962&mlon=0.71470

Is this just perhaps some additional property of something already
marked amenity=pub?

David

(*) PS I know some people aren't going to like this, but in retail parks
with big shed type shops, I've taken to marking landuse=retail and then
putting nodes marked landuse=retail; name=whatever within them sop
identify individual shops. I'd use shop=... except that the names aren't
rendered then (and yes, that's tagging for the renderer). I guess I
could also do both. Ditto individual large factories in industrial
estates (landuse=industrial). Examples of both side-by-die also in Bury:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.23952&lon=0.74751&zoom=16&layers=B000FTTT