[Talk-GB] Clarifying tagging for footway/cycleway etc

Kevin Peat kevin at kevinpeat.com
Thu Mar 19 18:56:01 GMT 2009

Richard Mann wrote:
> As a general principle, I think Key:highway should do most of the work.
> It should concentrate on describing the physical nature of the way...

+1 on this...I also think highway should just describe the physical way
so probably just:

highway=path|track|road

With the rest of the stuff split out:

classification=motorway|uk_primary|uk_secondary|residential|etc...
legal_status=uk_footpath|uk_bridleway|permissive|etc....
surface=paved|unpaved|etc...
foot=dedicated|shared|no
bicycle=dedicated|shared|no
motorcar=yes|no|destination|etc...

I think it would make it easier for newbies to just map what they
physically see on the ground and also make the data less UK-centric.

> I think there’s a need for a highway=cycle&footway tag...

This seems to be the opposite from your previous point adding more
rights info to the highway tag.

Kevin