[Talk-GB] Route planner using UK OSM data

Andrew M. Bishop amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 19:02:17 GMT 2009

"Tim Waters (chippy)" <chippy2005 at gmail.com> writes:

>> I decided that what would be fun to implement is a routing algorithm
>> that can find the best (shortest or quickest) route between any two
>> OSM highway nodes. I know that there are other routing algorithms
>> available but this started as an intellectual exercise so I developed
>> my own.  It seemed to work so I added a fancy web front end to it and
>> put it on a server.

> This is really neat. it's good to see a few excellent routers occuring
> because of OSM.
> I think your one is quite powerful for the ability to customise the
> weighting, nice!
>
> Also, any plans to release the source for the router available so we
> can play too?

Yes, if people find it useful then I have no problems with releasing
the source code.  I need to tidy up a few things and write a README
file, but it was always planned that a release would occur if it
worked.

One thing that it is missing is a good name - I ought to get that
sorted out as well before releasing it.

--
Andrew.
Andrew M. Bishop                             amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk