[Talk-GB] Route planner using UK OSM data

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Mar 23 22:20:32 GMT 2009

On 23 Mar 2009, at 19:31, Chris Andrew wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Would you consider the GPL licence?
>
> Name ideas:
>
> "Tora"- The Open Routing Algorithm?
>
> "Aora"- Andrew's......
>
> What's it written in, maybe that could help with the name....PyOra,
> for example?
>
> Just a thought.

A name... Who is this project aimed at? You need to answer that one
before choosing the name. If is a bunch of clever back-end code that
can be used by anyone wanting to put a journey planner together then
you need a name that works for techies, otherwise you have the much
harder task of building a pubic facing brand which will probably need
marketing and other stuff to make it work.

Assuming you are producing something for the techie community then it
needs to be memorable and relatively unique. Avoid a phrase that just
says what is is because there are going to be too many of those! If
the project is good and gets used then the name will become well known
so the most important thing for a techie project is that it is good.
It is also important to build a community that can engage with it, so
do provide a way for people to engage with the project - a wiki page
for describing the project and for feedback and suggestions seems to
work well and of course making it open source. Is also takes a lot of
work.

Not sure how Chris arrived at Tora. It sounds nice, however it seems
to already be being used for something similar?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporally-ordered_routing_algorithm

Regards,

Peter