[Talk-GB] MK mapping party

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Mon May 18 15:55:17 BST 2009

2009/5/18 Bruce Cowan <lists at bcowan.fastmail.co.uk>:
> On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 10:33 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> I also think we need to decide where tertiary should be used, as there's
>> quite a difference between different blocks at the moment - most don't
>> have any but some have loads.
>>
>> My personal opinion was that we should use tertiary for any grid roads
>> that aren't primary/secondary and not use it at all within the blocks in
>> general - just use unclassified for the more major roads in the blocks.
>
> The way I understood things, primary/trunk = A roads, secondary = B
> roads, tertiary = C roads.
>
> Yes, I know that C roads aren't usually put on signs, but they can be
> usually identified by the fact that they have broken white lines down
> their centre unlike unclassified roads.

I have tended to use tertiary for roads that were A or B Roads that
have been By-passed. ie Its still a perfectly usable main road but the
road number has been taken by the by-pass. After all they have to
build there passes.... (Quote: Hitch Hikers Guide)

I also suspect some mistakes. Oh and Some unclassified Roads that
actually go somewhere, That is used by people all the time but has not
got a number (or someone has forgotten what it is)

I also know Unclassified Roads round me that are wider than some of
the A roads. The military like building them, that and industry.

Peter.