[Talk-GB] MK mapping party

Tom Sutch tom at oketchup.co.uk
Tue May 19 21:48:37 BST 2009

Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 10:27:15 +0100
From: "Ed Loach" <ed at loach.me.uk>

> I notice that some of the tertiary grid roads in MK have had what
> was tagged in the loc_ref field added to the ref field (such as H4).
> I think this looks good in Mapnik and wonder whether we should
> extend it to the other tertiary grid roads (as the primary and
> secondary ones already have their own references). It would
> certainly make a printout from OSM more useful for visitors.

Hmm, I was going to post about this.  Personally I'm not sure about
it. I can see the merit in having V6 etc prominently shown, but I think
having them rendered on the same basis as A509, B4034 is perhaps a bit
confusing. I know they're in different colours because they're
tertiary as opposed to primary/secondary, but it seems odd to be
displaying some but not all of the grid numbering system.  I would say
that within MK it is equivalent, not subservient, to the national
numbering system; different people will navigate by different means.

However, showing the grid road numbers prominently will be a key
advantage for OSM data over other sources.  The only other map I know
of that shows them is the official MK City Map
(http://www.mkweb.co.uk/mkmap/home.asp?Scale=3) which is very
frustrating to use online. I notice they seem to represent their grid
numbers on the map as part of the name, in the same font/size/colour
etc. This has a certain amount of logic to it, as that's the way they
are shown on the road signs.

MK is looking much better on Mapnik and Osmarender now that the grid
roads, and only the grid roads, are tertiary.  I'm looking forward to
seeing the redways on the Cycle Map when that's regenerated!

With reference to earlier discussion on here, I haven't finished my
mapping yet, but the roads within the grid squares that I've tagged as
unclassified so far have tended to be those named '... Gate' which are
the links in from the grid roads.