[Talk-GB] Question regarding mapping inaccuracies.

Andrew M. Bishop amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk
Sun May 31 15:11:45 BST 2009

Shaun McDonald <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk> writes:

> On 29 May 2009, at 20:23, Peter Miller wrote:
>
>> On 29 May 2009, at 15:42, Shaun McDonald wrote:
>>
>>> I'm wondering if someone will be able to implement an efficient
>>> version of the snooker ball visualisation on http://www.cyclestreets.net/blog/2009/03/26/thats-a-really-odd-route/
>>
>> That's very useful. Is it possible for anyone to view that mapping
>> view through Cycle Streets?
>
> No due to reasons of poor performance, hence why I'm asking is someone
> else would be interested in implementing something similar with far
> better performance and global coverage. The original authors would be
> really happy to see it implemented elsewhere, as it would bring great
> benefits to the OSM data.

As a quick hack I have generated such a map for the UK.

http://www.gedanken.org.uk/mapping/osm-junctions/junctions.html

The junction data comes from Routino[1] and as such not all highway
junctions are included (only highways that are routable).  The
rendering is performed client-side so is rather slow (probably my
Javascript isn't optimum).  The server will only allow downloading a
limited amount of data at a time so I recommend you zoom in to the
highest or penultimate zoom level.

[1] http://www.gedanken.org.uk/mapping/router/router.html
    http://www.gedanken.org.uk/software/routino/

--