[Talk-GB] A pitch in a common

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Mon Nov 9 09:17:52 GMT 2009

Ian Caldwell wrote:
> On part of the Malvern Common there is a football pitch which is notable
> as it flat and mowed, unlike the rest of the common but on Mapnik they
> are shown as the same colour.
>
> Any suggestions?

Leave it be?

Seriously: You've got the tagging right, so there's no need to change
that. You could request a change in the main Mapnik renderer, but the
problem with that is that elsewhere on the map the colouring is correct,
and changing it will probably have adverse effects.

If you can find/draw a small football graphic that could be used as a
background in the Mapnik render (see nature reserves/cemetaries for how
it looks), but I don't think the colour should change, and even with the
graphic the pitch may not be obvious.

On a more philosophical note, if the only difference between the pitch
and the surrounding common is that it's kept mown, there actually
*isn't* any real difference between the two. Should the man with the
mower stop, nature will reclaim the pitch very quickly. Is the pitch
really permanent? What *is* permanence?

--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)