[Talk-GB] Postboxes & Payphones

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Tue Nov 10 10:21:27 GMT 2009

> As has been
> mentioned before, the process of hunting down an elusive
> postbox often has
> the benefit of some other missing feature getting mapped as
> well, just
> because you happen to be in the neighbourhood.

I'd agree with that (and can also think of two adjacent postboxes
with different references, which I hadn't considered earlier). This
morning I was out verifying bus stops before work (more accurately I
was trying to get to Colchester for 06:30 when Wickes opened, so I
could be home again before work, but stopped at many of the stops en
route except for a few where they loomed out of the mist too late
for me to stop safely with a vehicle close behind me) and found a
whole new lane I'd missed every other time I'd driven past it, which
is often. I think I also spotted some recently constructed
residential cul-de-sacs that I don't remember being there last time
I passed, so will check and perhaps map those when I go to Wickes
next (when their forklift driver gets to work they'll move the stock
from out back into store so I can actually buy it). So probably this
evening, though might not as I may take a different route to
Colchester and try and get the route of the 74 verified to the same
level as the 76 route I followed this morning.

But if I weren't trying to spot bus stops I wouldn't have spotted
the lane I think I had previously dismissed as a driveway (which as
it only goes to a farm is perhaps what it effectively is).

Although perhaps bus stops is a bad example as that is a case where
the data has been imported.

Ed