[Talk-GB] Adding some additional building around the Angel area of London?

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Nov 10 19:05:28 GMT 2009

2009/11/10 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com>

> The roundel (the simple red ring and blue bar version) is more than 70
> years old, if that makes any difference. The BR logo is somewhat newer,
> however.
>
> Putting it on a map feels to me to be akin to news reporting, so it might
> constitute fair use.

First, there's no such thing as fair use in the UK, we have "fair dealing"
which is quite different to "fair use" provisions in other countries.
Second, never ever put OSM in a position where it is open to serious legal
attack based on your or my untrained feeling :)

We get permission from TfL, or we seek costly legal advice.

On a cartography point, would we specify a rule for the operator TfL so that
every other metro system doesn't get the same logo? Would this open the
Mapnik stylesheet up to thousands of extra lines to accommodate every local
symbol?

Best wishes,
Tom