[Talk-GB] Adding some additional building around the Angel area of London?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Nov 10 19:35:17 GMT 2009

On 10 Nov 2009, at 19:05, Tom Chance wrote:

> 2009/11/10 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com>
> The roundel (the simple red ring and blue bar version) is more than
> 70 years old, if that makes any difference. The BR logo is somewhat
> newer, however.
>
> Putting it on a map feels to me to be akin to news reporting, so it
> might constitute fair use.
>

> First, there's no such thing as fair use in the UK, we have "fair
> dealing" which is quite different to "fair use" provisions in other
> countries. Second, never ever put OSM in a position where it is open
> to serious legal attack based on your or my untrained feeling :)
>
> We get permission from TfL, or we seek costly legal advice.

I agree that the cautious approach would be to ask. I was wondering if
we could use the argument that it is in the background (as is a photo
of a cafe with a coca-cola sign in the window) or that we are creating
a 'collective' work of more than one 'creative' element.

The reality is that the law doesn't provide certainty in these sorts
of things.

> On a cartography point, would we specify a rule for the operator TfL
> so that every other metro system doesn't get the same logo? Would
> this open the Mapnik stylesheet up to thousands of extra lines to
> accommodate every local symbol?

Yup! I have just checked Google Maps in the England, Scotland, France
and Germany and yes, the metro has a different symbol in London,
Glasgow, Paris and Berlin!

I suggest we need to include a link to the appropriate logo within the
POI in OSM so that Mapnik just references the symbol from the POI.

Regards,

Peter