[Talk-GB] Adding some additional building around the Angel area of London?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Nov 11 11:17:33 GMT 2009

On 11/11/2009 10:39, Richard Mann wrote:
> I found this a useful summary of the UK copyright position:
>
> http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use

That's about the general concept.

> This was the reason for my comment that our use on a street map would be
> akin to news reporting (ie - to me - a simple way of precisely,
> concisely and neutrally representing the organisation concerned). Of
> course it doesn't hurt to ask, but the question should be "this is fair
> use, isn't it", not "can I have a free licence". I agree that it's not
> "incidental" use.

The law says "Fair dealing with a work (other than a photograph) for the
purpose of reporting current events does not infringe any copyright in
the work provided that ... it is accompanied by a sufficient
acknowledgement." (Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988  III 30.2)

Our use is not about reporting *events*. "Akin" isn't good enough for
the law, even if you accept this is akin to news reporting. You're
trying to bend the law with your opinion, and that just doesn't work.

David