[Talk-GB] Adding some additional building around the Angel area of London?

Wed Nov 11 11:54:25 GMT 2009

Ed Loach wrote:
> Why do we have to try and get multiple logos rendered on Mapnik,
> rather than anyone who wants to use different renderings in a
> specific area rendering their own? They have access to the data
> after all.

Indeed. We shouldn't even be thinking of adding the LU roundel to the
core OSM rendering right now.

If we do that, we need to add a Glasgow Clockwork Orange-specific one,
a Paris Metro one, a New York subway one, etc. etc. etc.

Then, people will ask - no, demand - to start rendering US roads in US
highway colours with US highway shields; Australian ones with this
insane system of about 900 shields that they have over there; and the
whole "etc. etc. etc." thing all over again.

They would be justified in doing so - their need is more pressing to
their userbase, to whom green/red/orange means nothing, than the need
for the LU roundel is to ours. I don't know if any of you have looked
at how our highway colour scheme works in France, for example (and I'm
not criticising anyone else here, because I chose the colours in the
first place), but it makes no bleeding sense at all.

Repeat all of this for a large chunk of features in the OSM dataset.

Localised rendering is a great project and we should start to
experiment with it. But absolutely not on the core Mapnik rendering
right now, unless you're prepared to volunteer for weeks of fun with
Mapnik and osm2pgsql.

cheers
Richard