[Talk-GB] NaPTAN import status - update and question

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Wed Nov 11 17:33:03 GMT 2009

Peter Miller <peter.miller at ...> writes:

>At a rough count we have  now have NaPTAN imported for about 1/3 of GB

>Secondly, would it be appropriate at some point to import the data for
>all authorities where someone has not specifically asked for it not to
>be imported?

I think the NaPTAN import is a great piece of work and I would vote for
doing the whole country now that the basic idea has been proven.
The area where I live (in east London) has been imported already.
The data is not perfect but it is a lot better than none, and from what
I can tell, at least equally good quality as the manually surveyed bus
stops that existed before NaPTAN.  (The positions are less accurate than
surveyed ones, but the stop names and details are much richer.)

>There is also the issues of maintenance imports for NaPTAN data - the
>data has now changed a reasonable amount in both OSM and also in
>NaPTAN since the initial imports and we should possibly start thinking
>about how to sync them in the future.

A start would be some kind of reconciliation report to point out things for
manual fixing.

We also need a mechanism to push changes back upstream to the NaPTAN database
where their data is incorrect.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>