[Talk-GB] "OS boundaries and 'mid-level' mapping data to be released for free re-use including commerically"

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Nov 17 16:57:03 GMT 2009

On 17/11/09 16:24, Peter Miller wrote:

> Possibly we have have some accurate boundary information soon! By 'mid-
> level mapping' do they mean Meridian I wonder?

Please to bear in mind this sentence:

"The Government will consult on proposals to make data from Ordnance
Survey freely available...

so no guarantees yet... I'm sure the OS will have a view they'd like to
put during the consultation after all ;-)

There is also the small issue of the fact that the consultation is due
to run until April next year and there's this small matter of a General
Election coming up around that time...

This is interesting though:

"Data relating to electoral and local authority boundaries as well as
postcode areas would be released for free re-use...

Do OS even have an (unencumbered) data set for postcode areas?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/