[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey 7th series available

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Tue Oct 6 21:36:05 BST 2009

On 6 Oct 2009, at 21:24, Frankie Roberto wrote:

> 2009/10/6 Steve Chilton <S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk>
>
> I am pleased to announce that the first of the OS 7th series out-of-
> copyright maps are available for use in OSM.
> Very brief details of the sheets and how to access them is available
> on the wiki at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/7th_Series
>
> Wow, they are beautiful maps!
>
> I've just had a go at using them as a background in Potlatch,
> looking at Campbeltown. There are plenty of roads on the map that
> aren't on OSM.  Is it reasonably safe to assume that these probably
> do still exist, and can be added to OSM (with appropriate source tag?)

Press b in Potlatch to get the source tag added.

I have noticed that the status of some of the roads seem to have
changed in Dumfries, so I think that local knowledge would be useful
for this one.

I've noticed that there is an offset in Dumfries that is noticeable
(the current data is based on GPS). I've not checked to see how
widespread the problem is.

Shaun