[Talk-GB] Any more counties for NaPTAN import?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Oct 16 10:18:52 BST 2009

On 16 Oct 2009, at 09:07, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:

> Peter J Stoner wrote:
>> Sent: 15 October 2009 10:29 PM
>> To: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
>> Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Any more counties for NaPTAN import?
>>
>> In message on 15 Oct 2009,  Peter Miller  wrote:
>>

>>> Some 36 authorities already have NaPTAN (bus stop data) imported.
>>> There are another 6 waiting requesting an import.
>>
>>> If you want to be in the next import run (and I recommend it) then
>>> do
>>> update the import request page [1] with your details soon.
>>

>>> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NaPTAN/Request_for_Import
>>

>> I am doing some NaPTAN training with new staff in the Teesside
>> authorities tomorrow and so it would be excellent if anyone with
>> knowledge of that area was willing to look at the NaPTAN there and
>> give some feedback.
>>
>> It is excellent how in several areas good relations are being
>> established between OSM and the authorities and this is helping to
>> correct errors in the NaPTAN data.
>
> Peter,
>
> To help others it might be useful if OSMers knew who to contact in
> each
> authority. Some contact points for the wiki would be very helpful.

ITO has now completed the creation/update/ standardisation of articles
for every English and Welsh local authority (At county/unitary level)
- our more recent work was to add the required articles for Wales. We
will do Scotland sometime if no one gets there first.

For the Welsh articles we have started added an 'Official links'
section giving a link to the official authority website as a start.
Possibly this section could be expanded to give details of the
appropriate person to talk to in each relevant official capacity. I
suggest that we use a similar format for England and Scotland - ITO
will populate those sections in a basic way at some point if others
don't get there first.

It might also be useful to have a list of OSM Mappers who don't mind
being contacted by officialdom for each authority on the article to
make it easier for someone in an authority to contact a relevant
mapper and start a discussion.

When this is done Peter can then explain how the 'interface' between
officials and OSM is meant to work.

Regards,

Peter