[Talk-GB] OS 7th series, accuracy update, request for calibration help

Jerry Clough - OSM sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 19 10:10:58 BST 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if Kintyre other than NR71 & NR72 (Campbeltown) is derived from much earlier mapping. Those two octads are the only ones published for Kintyre in the 25k provisional/first series. Certainly for other parts of highland Scotland serious errors existed until the 50k 2nd series (one reason why this appeared for the Highlands first). If I'm right there may also be errors on Arran, which also only had 2 10km squares published. On the other hand, Arran may have been much better surveyed in the 19th century because of its geological interest.

Jerry Clough
SK53