[Talk-GB] maposmatic for the UK?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Oct 23 09:33:31 BST 2009

I was at a meeting with our county council yesterday evening to
discuss 'strategic cycle routes' in my town for inclusion in the
official cycling strategy which will be applicable for the next
decade. It was a very good and useful meeting, only one problem
though, the base map they were using didn't have the cycle routes on
it!  (it had roads and buildings but didn't even have national cycle
route because the OS still don't seem to know about cycle routes in
their vector datasets). It also didn't have the recently completed
housing on it of course.

Very irritating.

At a future meeting I would love to be able to recommend that they
print an OpenStreetMap. Unfortunately, MapOSMatic, which is the only
service that I am aware of that allows one to create big town maps
only works within France at present.

Does anyone fancy talking to them and helping with a translation? This
is what is says on their home page:
"Right now MapOSMatic is only available for the metropolitan France
area. We need contributors to translate and adapt the few parts of
MapOSMatic that are country specific."[1]

Regards,

Peter

[1] http://maposmatic.org/