[Talk-GB] maposmatic for the UK?

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Fri Oct 23 10:01:22 BST 2009

2009/10/23 Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>

> I was at a meeting with our county council yesterday evening to
> discuss 'strategic cycle routes' in my town for inclusion in the
> official cycling strategy which will be applicable for the next
> decade. It was a very good and useful meeting, only one problem
> though, the base map they were using didn't have the cycle routes on
> it!  (it had roads and buildings but didn't even have national cycle
> route because the OS still don't seem to know about cycle routes in
> their vector datasets). It also didn't have the recently completed
> housing on it of course.
>
> Very irritating.
>
> At a future meeting I would love to be able to recommend that they
> print an OpenStreetMap. Unfortunately, MapOSMatic, which is the only
> service that I am aware of that allows one to create big town maps
> only works within France at present.
>
> Does anyone fancy talking to them and helping with a translation? This
> is what is says on their home page:
> "Right now MapOSMatic is only available for the metropolitan France
> area. We need contributors to translate and adapt the few parts of
> MapOSMatic that are country specific."[1]
>
> Regards,
>

> Peter
>
> [1] http://maposmatic.org/

Seams to work, Well its generating me a map of Medway now......

Oh its blank...

It looks like they only currently have a part of the Data in the database,
Possibly due to server space and processing time.

I doubt the work needed is large, probably just a matter of translating a
few odd words from French. and importing ensuring the hard disks are big
enough for the data.

But a large map in French of the Uk is better than No Map, so it looks like
a data issue really.

Peter.

Peter.