[Talk-GB] Proper Rights of Way coverage map

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Oct 23 10:42:39 BST 2009

Hello everyone,

Following on from the unintentional rights-of-way coverage map generated
by zooming out from the OSM/First Edition mashup that I mentioned the
other day, I've now done a script to generate a real one.

It's available at

http://www.free-map.org.uk/freemap/stats/statsmap.php

That page also details what I consider "rights of way". It shows quite
well which areas of England and Wales have good ROW coverage and which
need a lot more work (a project for 2010, perhaps?)

Also see the blog post

http://www.free-map.org.uk/wordpress/?p=19

Note that these maps are generated from Freemap's copy of the OSM
database, so might be up to a week out of date. I normally update Freemap
weekly so some animations should be possible in future!

Also note that areas immediately around the big cities are excluded from
the Freemap database, but then they wouldn't have many rights of way
anyway!

Nick