[Talk-GB] maposmatic for the UK?

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 11:00:02 BST 2009

2009/10/23 Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>

> I was at a meeting with our county council yesterday evening to
> discuss 'strategic cycle routes' in my town for inclusion in the
> official cycling strategy which will be applicable for the next
> decade. It was a very good and useful meeting, only one problem
> though, the base map they were using didn't have the cycle routes on
> it!  (it had roads and buildings but didn't even have national cycle
> route because the OS still don't seem to know about cycle routes in
> their vector datasets). It also didn't have the recently completed
> housing on it of course.
>
> Very irritating.
>
> At a future meeting I would love to be able to recommend that they
> print an OpenStreetMap. Unfortunately, MapOSMatic, which is the only
> service that I am aware of that allows one to create big town maps
> only works within France at present.
>
> Does anyone fancy talking to them and helping with a translation? This
> is what is says on their home page:
> "Right now MapOSMatic is only available for the metropolitan France
> area. We need contributors to translate and adapt the few parts of
> MapOSMatic that are country specific."[1]

I can work on an English translation if you are interested. This shouldn't
take very long. The problem is that you will need to have your own server to
get MapOSMatic running with only a map of United Kingdom.
Also, some part of the logic is based on having municipality boundaries
Admin Level 8. You can get a zone to display of course, but it is not going
to be as convincing as opposed of having the proper border.
In addition, I suspect there is a bit of code that will need to be changing
since the street are analyzed in some ways based on the French system. For
example, Rue De La Paix is becoming on their index Paix (Rue De La). This
logic will need to work differently in English or other languages. You can
see an example of what I mean here
http://www.maposmatic.org/smedia/chavagne_index.png

Emilie Laffray