[Talk-GB] Automating email alerts of mapping errors.

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sun Oct 25 17:04:02 GMT 2009

Chris Andrew wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I was just thinking about the 'Keep Right' website that shows mapping
> errors on OSM and also, the ability to highlight roads that do not
> have names.
>
> Having this information available to us, do we have the capability to
> run a report/ script against this data, and then email the 3 (for
> example) nearest people to the error and highlight the errors to them,
> for possible correction?
>
> I'm just thinking that when I'm logged-into OSM, it tells me the OSM
> contributors closest to me and this data could be used wisely,
> perhaps.
>
> I know that all sounds a bit garbled, but maybe a report and automated
> message could be run periodically.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris.

I'm not sure automated reminders would be at all welcome.  Automated
error checking is just a hint, useful if you're interested, but very
annoying if it is pushed at you.  People volunteer their time and the
reason they do so is very varied.  They may not be interested in fixing
these 'errors'.

How do you know that the local mappers are active (most are not)?

If you want people to opt in to receive these emails then they can
simply visit the Keep Right site with no real need to hassle people with
emails.

Cheers, Chris