[Talk-GB] Chester Zoo: feedback requested

Frankie Roberto frankie at frankieroberto.com
Fri Sep 4 11:43:28 BST 2009

Loach:

>  Looks good. From a view of pedestrian routing, are all entries and exits
> past the building labelled main entrance? Could the path perhaps be extended
> to the parking aisle to make clear that it is the way in, maybe? Perhaps
> with barrier=gate or similar if appropriate on the node where you pay? (I’ve
> not checked to see whether such is there already to be honest)

I've now added http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/40125672, is that
what you meant? (not sure if this path should extend through the building or
not - it's actually more of a covered turnstile.

You also reminded me that there's a separate pedestrian entrance here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/480729959

Bob Kerr wrote:
> I have added service=parking_aisle to the car park, I thought you may be
> interested to see that. I have not changed anything else.

Thanks, didn't know about this tag!

> You mentioned geometry, I would suggest you look at JOSM. there is a tool
> that looks like a set square that helps keep areas at right angles.

Ah, I can't cope with JOSM - wish there was a way of doing this in Potlatch
(which does have a button for drawing neat circles).

> You may like also to play around with
>
> landuse=forrest
> landuse=grass
> natural=wetland
> natural=scrub
> amenity=toilets
> amenity=shelter

Good ideas, thanks.

> It looks really good, I always think that mapping areas like this in detail
> gives the map much more life. I'm sure the zoo will be very pleased.

I hope so too!  I might customise the map slightly by adding animal icons
(if I can find a nice set of pictograms). I've added animal=* tags, but I
suspect it's a bit much to ask for support for these in Mapnik at the
moment...

I've also just experimented by adding barrier=fence to the outer boundary (I
guess this should really be added to the two separate halves of the zoo
instead), so I'm looking forward to seeing how that renders...

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle