[Talk-GB] Chester Zoo: feedback requested

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Mon Sep 7 00:59:24 BST 2009

2009/9/6 Frankie Roberto <frankie at frankieroberto.com>:

>> It looks great.. I've started recently trying to do something similar
>> (remotely) for the Wildlife Park on the Isle of Man
>> (http://osm.org/go/evGwiGNLr- ), but it's difficult without having
>> been there for a while.
>
> Nice. And a miniature railway too! The layout looks a little odd though
> (three separate tracks - I presume they're all linked together?). It'd be
> nice to add some enclosures too.

There are apparently two or three different gauges running, with the
inner part of the middle loop on one and another running around the
length of the circuit outside that loop. They all link up though
apparently. I've just added a relation for them all as well. Next time
I'm home I'll try to add some more info, unless I can get permission
to use details from their own map.

> I almost went to London Zoo yesterday, but ended up going paintballing (it
> was a friend's birthday do).  I'm sure there are some London folk out there
> who could be persuaded to go and map it though... (I might even offer to
> contribute to the entrance fee).

Hopefully :)

>> I wonder if it would actually make it clearer in this situation to
>> break the zoo into two, so it's clear that the path isn't a part of
>> it?
>
> Good idea - I've just done this. (see http://osm.org/go/eufvD4GO) Not sure
> how big the gap between the two halves should be - I've just guesstimated
> it.  I've also added both 'sides' of the zoo to a 'site' relation (see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Site), so that tags
> can be shared between them, but I'm not sure how well this is supported in
> the renderers at the moment.

Ah, thanks for the pointer to the site relation.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Karran