[Talk-GB] OpenStreetMap's first flight!

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Sep 11 16:22:47 BST 2009

On 11 Sep 2009, at 14:35, Frankie Roberto wrote:

> 2009/9/11 Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>
>
> Too late! JR flew it yesterday afternoon in excellent conditions and
> I am waiting for him to post his first photos for inspection and to
> do his blog post about it - stay tuned - there may be an updated
> this afternoon
>
> I don't know who much else he managed to capture, I do know they
> spent most of their time over Stratford and has a lot of photos to
> show for it.
>
> Wow, bet it was a nice day for it (it was clear blue skies up here).

I believe it was. The images I have seen are beautifully clear

> Is there any way of getting the photos to appear as an option within
> Potlatch?  If so, I'll happily spend a few hours tracing for you
> ahead of the conference.

JR is preparing the images at the moment and will start loading them
up onto Flickr soon and we can then figure out what we can do with
them. Hopefully someone will rectify some of them that form a nice
mosaic, but that is certainly not something that I or JR will be
doing. When they are rectified it should be possible to access them
through Potlatch usingthe external link. Are there any experts it such
stuff in the house?

Other people may just want to use them to identify features and
position them by eye, or count the number of parking bays or the
number of floors on a building.

Fyi, whe images are going to be licensed CC-BY (with ultimate
copyright to RJ Peterson and ITO World Ltd), but we will make it very
clear that the images can be used to derive mapping without any
residual rights over derived data from the copyright holders if that
makes sense.

Regards,

Peter