[Talk-GB] How to mark a Manor House on the map?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sat Sep 12 11:29:48 BST 2009

On 12/09/2009 11:21, Chris Andrew wrote:
> Hi, all.
> This morning, I mapped a Manor House here in Wiltshire.  I have added
> the perimeter to OSM, and marked it as a boundary.  I just thought,
> maybe this sort of tag is only for official boundaries, such as
> counties.
> I couldn't find a more suitable tag, as the manor house is not a
> castle, and is not a tourist attraction. It's just (!) a 500 year
> Grade 1 listed building.
> Can anyone put me straight, as I don't want to contribute to poor
> mapping practices.

I've typically done this as
for the building and
for the estate parkland that is often around the house. I guess in many 
cases it would also be appropriate to mark this as access=private.

No doubt we can argue about the value for building. I've used 
stately_home for some larger examples, but I see no reason you shouldn't 
use manor_house

Examples I've done (all building=stately_home):
Audley End, Essex (which is English Heritage):
Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire (NT):
and a private one, Ryston Hall (Norfolk):


More information about the Talk-GB mailing list