[Talk-GB] NOVAM viewer

Christoph Boehme christoph at b3e.net
Wed Sep 16 16:58:09 BST 2009

Robert Naylor wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:58:15 +0100, Christoph Boehme <christoph at b3e.net>
> wrote:
>> Robert Naylor wrote:
>>>
>>> How about adding an option to set wheelchair=yes to mark the new higher
>>> kerbs that are suddenly appearing everywhere (at least round here
>>> anyway)
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/pobice/3925707792/
>>
>> I would prefer to call it something like barrierfree=yes as it is not
>> only helpful for wheelchair users.
>>

> Maybe just raised_kerb=yes or kerb=raised as I'm not sure if its just me
> but barrierfree doesn't really suggest wheelchair/buggy/what ever
> accessible.

kerb=raised is a good idea (which could be combined with kerb=lowered
for pedestrian crossings) as the bus stop only becomes accessible (for
wheelchair users) if it is served by a low-floor bus.

> In fact it sounds more like tagging that there isn't a barrier=fence or
> something in between the bus and the bus stop.

That because I should have consulted a dictionary instead of translating
the german "barrierefrei" to english literally. Then I would have
noticed that what I meant is "accessible" and that "barrier-free" is not
widely used (according to wikipedia [1]).

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrier-free