[Talk-GB] What's in a name

WessexMario wessexmario-osm at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 16 19:43:14 BST 2009

'name' should, where available, contain the official place name.
If a common name like 'Hull' is in use, then that's what the 'alt_name'
tag is for.
One problem in using other names would be that you wouldn't be able to
reliably correlate different geoname resources. The mkgmap mailing list
only today had a thread about using online geoname resources to extract
the most appropriate place name to label map tiles, that sort of
application wouldn't be possible if names didn't follow the official
designation.
Another problem would be that some places have more than one alternative
name, who would decide which one is 'the' name'? It would cause
arguments (and edit wars?) over which 'name' should be the one to be used.
There's no ambiguity if the official place name is always used, and
alt_name used for the alternatives.