[Talk-GB] Locating Postboxes article Guardian

Russ Phillips russ at phillipsuk.org
Thu Sep 17 18:05:11 BST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:49 PM, John Robert Peterson <jrp.crs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I heard from somewhere that the "post code" associated with
> the post box is actually a post code assosiated with the collection office,
> and that a house next to it can have a totally different post code.

That seems highly unlikely. In the early 1990's, I was a postie, and
the sorting office that I was based in delivered mail to the S66 7xx &
S66 8xx postcode areas. This page:
http://www.dracos.co.uk/play/locating-postboxes/nearest/?s=S66+8

Shows many postboxes that have been located in the area, all with a
different postcode. But all those postboxes listed with a postcode
starting "S66 7" or "S66 8" are collected from a single sorting
office. Or at least, they were in 1994, and the sorting office that I
worked at is still in operation.

Russ