[Talk-GB] OpenStreetMap's first flight!

John McKerrell john at mckerrell.net
Fri Sep 18 12:30:35 BST 2009

Ok, turns out it's not so hard to upload ~20GB of data.

The files are now available on the following web address. I'm not
really sure how well my server's going to handle this so please, don't
go too crazy, please don't download the tar files if you don't really
need them or aren't likely to do anything with them. Feel free to
browse through the individual JPEGs though. If I find this is causing
any problems I will just turn off the server. Also if you can wait
until next week to get the full set then please do.

That said I'm hoping there won't actually be any problems, I'm running
thttpd to keep things lightweight and I should have enough bandwidth
to spare.

... actually now I've got the larger tar files up it seems thttpd
won't serve them because they're too big so I recommend that if you
want to download a tar, download the 1600 one then use that to find
images you're interested in and then download the large versions of
the RAW files manually (or using a script).

URL for the files is: http://78.46.66.234/

I've put a robots.txt on the server that disallows all robots, it
seems a good idea to stop this temporary store from being indexed.
Obviously if you're using a robot to download images that's fine in
general, just try not to hammer the server, if the robots.txt causes
you problems then let me know and I'll see what I can  do.

Though the server that these are hosted on is my own I should say
thanks to http://www.moneyextra.com/ as it's their office connection
I've used to upload the files.

John

P.S. sheep=yes