[Talk-GB] OpenStreetMap's first flight!

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Sep 18 15:13:05 BST 2009

On 18 Sep 2009, at 14:53, Andy Allan wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Frankie Roberto
> <frankie at frankieroberto.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe it should be possible to use this in Potlatch somehow but
>>> haven't figured it out. Some of the link from Warper result in
>>> errors.
>>
>> I tried using some of these links:
>> http://warper.geothings.net/layers/export/21 in the 'custom' field
>> in the
>> background settings, but none of them seemed to work.
>>
>> Have copied chippy and RichardF in, in the hope that they can help us
>> connect things up.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gravitystorm/3930896331/

Thanks Andy, another piece comes into place. When we booked the flight
I didn't know that Warper even existed, but I thought we would
probably figure something out. I sort of hoped it would get into
Potlatch before the AGI conference but didn't really know how.

But, the whole of OSM seems to have been created by sticking random
bits of technology together in unlikely ways in response to need. Over
times this technology then forms itself into a beautiful elegant whole!

Take one plane + one foolish photographer + one pilot, a nice camera +
Flickr + warper + me fiddling with warper + Potlatch + Mapnik? + Andy
doing some magic to help squish them all together and hey presto, our
own imagery in Potltach a few days before the conference.

The results do betray some of our inexperience and a certain lack of
refinement but it is a good effort and with a little more time it
could even soon look elegant!

Regard,

Peter