[Talk-GB] Stitching Aerial Photographs

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Sun Sep 20 16:40:13 BST 2009

I've been having a go at rectifying some images with the Geothings
Warper and I've covered about half of Tiddington. They're public on
the website as numbers 1310, 1307, 1309, 1312, 1313, 1311, 1308 (in
that order, most vertical first). However, there are very obvious
seams between images. This got me thinking about the possibility of
creating a panorama image to actually stitch these images together.

Hugin is an open source panorama program (which I believe uses parts
of the SIFT algorithm to match features) which can do a very good job
of stitching the images we've collected together. I had a practice
with images 00822-00825 and very successfully was able to stitch them
together with no visible seam at all. I then uploaded the composite
image to Warper (http://warper.geothings.net/maps/1315 or the original
higher-quality image at
http://warper.geothings.net/uploads/1315/original/test3.jpg) and
rectified it. However, the recfication in this case probably isn't
good enough due to the slight warping caused by Hugin.

What we really need is a Hugin-type application which allows you to do
the standard stitching thing (setting control points between photos)
while at the same time allowing you to match points on the photos
against points on a map such that when it creates the 'panorama', it's
automatically rectified too. Does anyone know of a way to utilise
Hugin or Panorama Tools (upon which Hugin is based) to do this sort of
thing? I imagine it's not been done exactly like this before but I'm
sure there must be a way.

The long way to do it (and I'm not really suggesting it) would be to
warp each individual image in Warper, then stitch the warped images
with Hugin (at this point they should almost match the map) and then
finally re-Warp them again to neaten them up. The problem with this is
that Warper only produces low resolution images which wouldn't work
with Hugin very well.

Thoughts/suggestions?

--
Matt Williams