[Talk-GB] Locating Postboxes article Guardian

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Fri Sep 25 12:11:46 BST 2009

Ed Avis wrote:
> Ciarán Mooney <general.mooney at ...> writes:
>

>> Also I've spoken to Draco in the past, and his website does not sync
>> with OSM. He has tried to get help with a mass import but the
>> discussion was rat-holed due to supposed problem deriving data from
>> Royal Mails postbox list.
>>

> This has now been resolved, see this thread:
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap.legal/2544>
>
> But nobody has so far done the work to import the data.  I've been meaning to
> but lacked tuits.

It seemed to me that Draco's site loaded data from OSM, so I used the
street names on the RM list to find the boxes on the ground and added
them to OSM - which is why I wanted the see the list in the first
place.  I think the thing to take away from this is that sites like
Draco's are a useful place to match external data, but we should try to
update OSM as the primary source.

I believe that the list from RM still is their copyright even though it
has been supplied as from a request using the FoIA, so we can read it,
find the box and add what we find to OSM, but just loading the list data
into OSM is probably a breach of RM's copyright.  We might not like
this, but we ignore it at our peril.

I found hunting down stray post boxes was satisfying and led to me
finding all sorts of other detailed stuff.  Once you have the
information gathered from the ground why not use it to update OSM rather
than Draco's site since Draco will pull it in later from OSM anyway?

Cheers, Chris