[Talk-GB] NAPTAN pay_scale_area

Christoph Böhme christoph at b3e.net
Sun Sep 27 13:41:29 BST 2009

Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> schrieb:
> David Earl wrote:
> > I notice that we now have this area
> >    name = Cambridge
> >    public_transport = pay_scale_area
> >    ref = CAMBDGE
> >    source = naptan_import
> > which looks like it delimits the area within which the Cambridge
> > megarider bus tickets are valid ("Pay scale area" is not a term in
> > public parlance).
> >
> > Problem is, this renders sometimes (e.g. in Walking Papers which is
> > using a cloudmade style sheet I think) as a whole load of
> > "Cambridge" names on the boundary. This is highly misleading: it
> > bears no relation to the city of Cambridge, and because there is no
> > line rendered, it looks like they look like place names.
> >
> > I wonder whether name is the appropriate tag in this case, and if
> > you think it is whether it shouldn't say "Cambridge Megarider
> > Boundary" or some such.
> >
> +1
> > Certainly I think it should specifically not be rendered except on
> > a public transport speciality map. I'm not sure about the standard
> > Mapnik
> > - I can see some part labels arising from this and I don't know
> > whether it is because it hasn't rendered yet, or is being taken out.
> >
> +1
>
> I think the pay_scale_area polygons seem very approximate too, anyone
> know how they came about?

I imported them from the NPTG (Naptan Public Transport Gazetteer) a
while ago. This was discussed on the transit mailing list. The area
includes all bus stops which are part of a plusbus zone (which is a
ticket that allows to take a bus after a train journey, I think). The
original idea of placing all these bus stop in a relation did not work
out as there are too many bus stops.

The mapnik style seem to have a rule that renders every name-tag even
if it does not know the object as it is described by the other tags.

Christoph