[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 1 08:48:34 BST 2010

The problem with Meridian 2 is that it's a sampled set, so it's not as
spatially accurate as we would like. The objects are present, but we can do
better with shape if we wait, as TomH says, till the Vector Map District. We
know that with lots of high quality GPS traces we can get very close to the
top quality level of the OS in terms of road alignments, but where we have
few traces, or the current data has been obtained from NPE for instance,
then anything that the OS has is almost certainly going to be better.

We are still going to need to walk/cycle all the streets, lots of other
stuff, POI's and landuse info still to collect that's not in any of the OS
datasets (Even MasterMap), but its going to be a great tool for verification
and general improvements in our data.

I'd suggest we hit Boundary data first, its an easy win and will fix so many
problems with our current boundary relations.

Cheers

Andy

UK
>- as the
>		database is pretty much exactly what is being built - roads
/
>streets /
>		names , etc.
>

>	StreetView is horrible - the vector data will be far more useful.
>

>		We can surely get this as a "backdrop" layer, like the Yahoo
>imagery?
>

>	I suspect that will be the best approach, yes. We'll probably want
>wait for the Vector Map District release in May though as that will be a
>better data set than Meridian 2. Of course Boundary Line will also be
>useful for tracing and that should be available tomorrow.
>
>	All this assume the license is OK of course, which we won't know
>until we see it.
>

>		A bulk import wouldn't be possible, as this is raster data.
>(Though the
>		rest of the datasets seem to have a vector element, borders
>ect)
>

>	It's not raster data. Almost all the raster data got left out.
>

>		Exciting times ... I'll finally have some backing for my
small