[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Apr 1 08:56:39 BST 2010

On 01/04/10 01:16, Phil Monger wrote:

> Not sure I agree that Streetview is 'horrible' - as a free base map it
> will rival or beat any of the others I have seen. This is even more true
> for rural areas.

Well the cartography is horrible - the data is fine I'm sure. There just
isn't much detail beyond roads and houses.

> I am aware most of the raster stuff got left out, but streetview *is*
> raster - it says as much in the PDF.

Sure, I just don't think it's a hugely useful data set for us if we're
going to have decent vector data available.

> What we would want to do, I think, is encourage people to rapidly trace
> this to form a base map, then set upon the task of checking it for
> accuracy. Secondly, adding to it all the great features that we know
> from OSM - with the time burden or walking all the streets gone, that
> second part should progress more rapidly.

What on earth would be the point of creating our own vector data from
StreetView though. I could understand tracing it into OSM but tracing it
into a separate base map before we've even seen what will be in Vector
Map District is just insane.

Anyway, you still need to walk the streets to collect other information,
and walking the streets is at least half the fun of OSM!

As Andy says, I say we start with getting boundary data fixed up from
Boundary Line and then look at Vector Map District in a month's time and
decide what the next step is.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)