[Talk-GB] Post code map updated with a Code-Point Open layer

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Thu Apr 1 14:15:41 BST 2010

Hi,

The Ordnance Survey OpenData released today contains a dataset called
Code-Point Open giving the coordinates of about 1.5 million postcodes.

I've added a layer onto the postcode area map to show this data in the
same way it's been showing NPE, OSM and FreeThePostcode data for some
time.

Go see it here:

http://random.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodes/?layers=000F0F0FBT

There's still a few bugs to be worked out:
 - only 25% of the original dataset is actually used (generation
process uses too much RAM on my 32bit machine to do the whole thing)
 - not yet clipped to coastline
 - sub-codes ie: "SW18 1" only show where the prefix is 3 chars

So nothing too serious :-)

Dave