[Talk-GB] VectorMap District: Completely crazy idea, maybe, but...

Richard Bullock rb357 at cantab.net
Sun Apr 4 20:02:21 BST 2010

> and contours from SRTM (or even the OS's own contour data, if that's
> better than SRTM?)

To give you an idea of what the contours from the OS "Land-Form PANORAMA
Contour" dataset look like, I've taken a small section of the Cheshire Peak
District, centred on the hill Shutlingsloe.

See what I've done here;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19863303@N00/4490652840/sizes/o/

Literally all I've done is taken the points from the dxf file, and plotted
them using MS Excel - and it's just straight-line segments drawn between
every point. I've then coloured all of the contours in a red-brown colour -
except for the 300m contour (green), 400m contour (purple), 500m contour
(blue). Just like the OS - I've made every 50m contour bolder.

The dxf file itself just contains a list of lines, with points contained
within the line with x,y,z coords. There are contours, lake boundaries,
coastlines & spot-heights. I think there are a couple more types in some
files.

Compare and contrast that against the cycle map which shows the contours
http://osm.org/go/eu3FpOHq-?layers=00B0FTF

The OS one certainly looks more detailed. By inspection, it also looks to
agree with my copy of Landranger 118.
See here;
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=397663&Y=369556&A=Y&Z=120